Anthony Joshua says he will seek a rematch with Andy Ruiz Jr after he suffered a shock defeat in their world heavyweight title fight in New York on Saturday night.

British star Joshua had been widely expected to extend his unbeaten record to 23 fights and successfully defend his IBF, WBA and WBO titles on his American debut at Madison Square Garden.

That looked like being the case when the 29-year-old sent Ruiz Jr tumbling to the canvas in the third round, but in trying to finish the fight there and then, Joshua was caught by Ruiz Jr and was floored for the first time since his epic victory against Wladimir Klitschko in 2017.

No sooner had he recovered from that setback and Joshua was on the canvas again and he was only saved this time by the bell.

Joshua was never able to fully recover, however, and he was floored twice more in the seventh round before the fight was finally brought to halt, with Ruiz Jr causing one of the biggest shocks in boxing history.

The defeat means Joshua has suffered a major setback in his quest to dominate the heavyweight division, which also contains the likes of Deontay Wilder and Tyson Fury – the latter is in action against Tom Schwarz later this month (Fury 1/40, Schwarz 12/1, Draw 25/1 – fight odds).

The Olympic gold medalist was magnanimous in defeat and he is now targeting a rematch with Ruiz Jr.

“I train hard, I stay dedicated and just got beat by a good fighter tonight,” Joshua told Sky Sports. “It will be interesting to see how far he goes, so good luck to him, but I’ve got to bounce back.

Asked about a rematch, Joshua responded: “I’ve got to get that solid armoury. This is the risk we take, but we’ll bounce back.

“He’s the champ for now. Just put that in mind, he’s the champ for now. I shall return.”

Promoter Eddie Hearn also confirmed he wants a rematch to take place in Britain later this year.

“AJ will be back 100 per cent,” Hearn said. “We’ll make the rematch in the UK, November, December, but tonight belongs to Andy Ruiz.”

Odds subject to change.